My Thoughts On Leather (As A Vegetarian)

I've been a vegetarian basically all my life , other than the odd occasion that I've tried meat , which hasn't been often at all. Those who know me , know I'm hugely passionate about animal rights too. 'But you use leather' I hear you say , yep , I love my leather travelers notebooks for several reasons... the quality , the durability , the beautiful heavenly smell , but what I don't love (and what creeps me out the more I think about it) is that leather is skin , it's animal skin. That's the grim reality of it. I like to know , as much as I can , where the leather has been sourced from with my Travelers Notebooks and that's one of the reasons I love Chic Sparrow so much because they promote the fact they know where their leather is sourced and that it is a byproduct from the food industry and I know that is very important to Jennifer Harvey whose company it is. Whether I like it or not , animals are killed for food and as a result we have leather and if it wasn't put through processes and used it would most likely just be binned.  

Recently , as the world is changing and we are becoming more and more aware of how brutally treated animals are , it's made me think about the leather I purchase. Faux leather isn't really an option for me because you can't compare in terms of quality and for a TN I want durability , I wan't it to last me all my years and I adore and appreciate the characteristic that leather develops over time and use. I like fabric TN's but they just don't quite cut it , so how can I be more considerate with my purchases? 

I've decided to try my best to purchase only secondhand (leather) travelers notebooks , that way I feel like I'm not adding to the supply and demand (although is there actually such a thing as supply and demand with leather? I'm not sure...anyway) 

Doing so will make me feel better , you might think that is silly...we are all entitled to our own opinions after all. But it would make me feel better. I want to do my bit and do my best. If we all made small changes in whatever way we can , to help our planet and the animals that share the planet with us I think the world would be in a much better place. 

I obviously have nothing against anyone who chooses to purchase leather TNs brand new , I've clearly done that myself , everyone has a choice to do what they wish to do but this new personal choice for myself right now , is a good one for me. It might even prove to be a bit of a challenge.




Comments

Popular Posts